This recipe is perfect for cold evenings and if you’re looking to increase your protein intake. However, it requires patience! The bain-marie is great for slow cooking and to preserve the moisture in an egg-based dish but it takes time. Trust me, your patience will be rewarded 🙂
Ingredients: (for 4 persons)
- 2 zucchinis
- 6 tomatoes
- 4 eggs
- 400mL of whole cream
- 1 laurel leaf and some thyme
- salt and pepper
Preparation: 10 minutes
Bain-marie: 2 hours – 190°C
- Slice thinly the zucchinis and tomatoes. Place the laurel leaf in the middle.
- In a dish (buttered or not) place the sliced vegetables vertically alternating tomatoes and zuccinis.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, add the cream, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture on the vegetables so it covers them almost to the top.
- Place the dish in a bigger dish and fill it with water until it is level with the top of the egg mixture (bain-marie).
- Set the bain-marie in the oven as low as possible and let it cook gently for about 2 hours. Check every half hour to make sure the top doesn’t burn. If it changes colour, lower the temperature of you oven.
- Serve warm with a salad on the side.