I am a mayonnaise lover. We never really had any at home growing up, but those rare times my mother made fries, she also made her own homemade mayonnaise. There are two secrets to a great mayonnaise: the quality of the mustard, and the temperature of the ingredients. A good hand blender helps as well 😉 Ready to become a mayo pro?
Ingredients: (for 4 persons)
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard (cold)
- 1 egg yolk (cold)
- 1 tsp white vinegar (room temperature)
- 150ml sunflower oil (room temperature)
- Salt, pepper and Cayenne pepper
Preparation: 10 minutes
- Use a hand blender and a tall jar. Prepare all the ingredients in advance.
- Add the egg yolk, the salt, the vinegar and the mustard at the bottom. Start blending.
- While blending, add the oil little by little.
- When the mayonnaise is firm, add pepper to taste.
- Keep refrigerated under a film for up to 48 hours.
Last tip: If the mayonnaise stays liquid or separates, add another egg yolk and keep on blending until the emulsion takes.