Sweet treats coming your way 🙂 I always find myself staring at those mouthwatering pastries in the bakery’s windows and wish they were all gluten free. Here in Dijon finding a good gluten free spot is always a challenge, so here is my recipe for super delicious tarts so you can eat your pastry favourites wherever you are 😉
Ingredients: (for one big tart, or 8 smaller ones)
For the sweet crust:
- 125g softened butter
- 100g sugar
- 1 egg
- 100g corn starch
- 50g whole rice flour
- 50g corn flour
- 50g buckwheat flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 50ml water
For the cream and toppings:
- 500ml of almond milk (or any vegetal milk)
- 1 tsp of vanilla (extract, seeds, powdered…)
- 3 eggs
- 100g sugar
- 60g corn starch
- 200g of mixed berries
Preparation: 45 minutes
Refrigeration: 30 minutes
Baking: 25 minutes – 180°C
- Start with the crust.
- In a large bowl whip the butter with the sugar until creamy.
- Add the flours and the starch little by little while mixing with a wooden spatula.
- Add the salt and the egg, keep on mixing.
- Add the water and mix until smooth.
- Flatten the dough and film in contact with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Heat up your oven to 180°C.
- On baking paper, roll out the dough and form a circle (for a large tart) or cut smaller disks in the dough.
- Place the dough in tart tins and bake at mid-height for 25 minutes to 30 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven and let them cool down completely.
- In a saucepan start making the vanilla cream.
- Pour the milk in the saucepan with the vanilla and heat up gently until it simmers.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar with the eggs and add the starch.
- When the milk is simmering, add half of it on top of the eggs and sugar mixture.
- Mix in well and pour the mixture on the rest of the milk in the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil while whisking energetically and cook for 2 to 3 minutes after it starts boiling and thickening. Never stop whisking.
- Set the cream aside in a large bowl and film in contact with plastic film. Refrigerate immediately for 15 minutes.
- Before the cream cools down and settles completely, place it in an icing bag and decorate your tarts.
- Add berries on top and eat within 24 hours.