I love strawberries don’t you? Especially when they come from a local producer and he lets you by them 5kg at a time 😉 But then, what should we do with them? Strawberry mille feuilles of course 😉
Ingredients: (for 4 medium sized mille feuilles)
For the cream:
- 250ml of soya milk
- 1/2 tsp of vanilla seeds
- 1 egg yolk
- 50g of sugar
- 25g of corn starch
- 1 pinch salt
- 200m whole cream
For the structure:
- 2 rolls of gluten free puff pastry dough (you can also use biscuits)
- 500g of strawberries
Preparation: 25 minutes
Refrigeration: 2h15 minutes
Baking: 10 – 15 minutes – 200°C
- Start with the pastry (skip this step if you’re using biscuits)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C.
- Roll out the dough and cut it into evenly sized rectangles.
- Place them on a tray covered with balking paper, pierce small holes in them with a fork and bake them for 15 minutes.
- Set them aside and let them cool down completely before using.
- Start the vanilla cream.
- Pour the milk in a saucepan with the vanilla and heat up gently until it simmers.
- In a separate bowl mix the sugar with the egg yolk and add the starch.
- When the milk is simmering, add half of it on top of the eggs and sugar mixture while mixing energetically.
- Mix in well and pour the mixture on the rest of the milk in the saucepan.
- Bring to a boil while whisking energetically and cook for 2 to 3 minutes after it starts boiling and thickening. Never stop whisking.
- Set the cream aside in a large bowl and film in contact with plastic film. Refrigerate immediately for 15 minutes.
- Beat the cream with a pinch of salt until it is firm.
- Add a quarter of the cream to the vanilla custard and mix well with a whisk.
- Add the rest of the cream and fold in gently with a spatula.
- Rince and cut the strawberries in half.
- Place the cream in an icing bag and place a thin layer of cream on each rectangle.
- Add the strawberries (there’s no right way to do this, the only goal is for the structure to be stable in the end).
- With a little bit more cream stick the layers together to make three layers high mille feuilles.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving to let the cream set.
Last tip: if you have extra cream, use it within 24 hours or freeze it to keep it for later.